AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an educational program designed for mainstream students, the "Forgotten majority" of middle and high schools, who have potential for success. Through AVID, students are enrolled in a rigorous curriculum preparing them for future success in a college or university. The program restructures the teaching methodologies of school to make rigorous curricula accessible to almost all students and provides support services to its participants through trained facilitators.
- Students must demonstrate academic potential by having a grade point average of 2.5 - 3.5.
- Student must have average to high test scores and have passed, or are close to proficient, the math and reading MCA tests.
- Students must have a desire to attend post-secondary educational options and the motivation to work hard for it.
- AVID class is an every day class. It will take the place of Communications and one other elective.
- Other considerations that are taken into account when applying for the AVID program are:
- first generation in family to attend college
- member of a group traditionally underrepresented in 4-year colleges
- from a low-income family
- special circumstances (i.e. single parent family, etc.)
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding class, please fill out the application below and turn it in to your counselor, Mrs. Skaudis in room 153, Ms. Cress in room 113, or Mrs. Paino in room 213 by Friday, May 21, 2021.